Student-athletes improving our campus, community and ourselves
In recent years, and by design, the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee is the centralized voice for Washburn’s student-athletes to interact with our administration as well as NCAA regional and national committees. SAAC has a platform to make a difference at Washburn, in the Topeka community and in the world as our athletes go on to do great things. Your Day of Giving gift to Washburn SAAC can help us carry out our goals and improve our offerings.
SAAC is a nationwide organization available and active at NCAA schools at all levels. We have a desire and opportunity to improve and shape our own campus and our student-athletes. This year our efforts have included:
- We helped kick start a partnership with Robinson Middle School to teach young athletes more about their sport and to provide intentional leadership in their lives from older athletes.
- We work hard to make sure our own student-athletes are ready for finals by creating finals goodie bags with stress-management techniques as well as snacks and treats to encourage us through the end of the semester.
- We sponsored a baked goods fundraiser during a football game where the proceeds were donated to the Make-a-Wish Foundation.
- We are working toward improving the atmosphere at our sporting events through a program called Bods Supporting Bods that encourages student-athletes from other teams to get out and support their fellow student-athletes.
In the past, SAAC has taken on initiatives such as:
- A diversity, equity and inclusion series with speakers
- Providing mental health resources and bringing a mental health speaker on campus
- A “Life After Athletics” series for our real-world preparation
- Presenting awards at Washburn’s Golden Bods award ceremony