Washburn University plays a central role in the Topeka community and serves as a cultural hub of northeast Kansas. The Mulvane Art Museum on campus is the oldest art museum in Kansas and sees more than 45,000 visitors per year, the University has a dynamic theatre program, and the music program boasts more than 100 majors. The University is also home to White Concert Hall, a 1,100-seat auditorium considered one of the finest in the region. If you have played an instrument, sung in a choir, or performed professionally in the surrounding Topeka area, it is likely you have performed at least once in White Concert Hall. The auditorium is booked year-round and is in use by organizations outside of Washburn more than 50% of the time. While White Concert Hall has served Washburn and other organizations well, northeast Kansas’ performing arts community would be greatly enhanced with the addition of a smaller, more intimate performance venue with exceptional technology.
Today, White Concert Hall serves as a nucleus for performing arts in Topeka. Patrons of the arts have an opportunity to expand it by supporting the addition of the Washburn University Recital Hall on campus located directly north of White Concert Hall.
The Washburn University Recital Hall will serve as a dynamic space for community and student groups to perform at their best. The 175-seat and approximately 9,100 square foot space will provide:
- Technological capabilities to livestream performances and expand the audience
- A flat surface to allow for continuous transformation of the room based on the performance
- A more intimate setting for smaller audiences for recitals and ensembles
- Leading-edge technology for artists to record their music
- Increased space on campus for local and regional musical competitions which help recruit and provide financial support for Washburn’s music department
- State-of-the-art acoustics to enhance the quality of the listening experience for patrons
- Fewer scheduling conflicts so performances take place at ideal dates and times